Saturday, July 27, 2013

iPad Deployment Considerations

Last year I helped to deploy 23 1:1 iPads to our 5th graders.  Their teacher was motivated to find a engaging tool to help inspire learning with this group of students.  She and I worked together over the summer and throughout the school year to try to discover the best apps to use and activities to complete using the iPads, and overall, I would say that our efforts were successful.  Though I do not have hard core data to back up my thoughts, discipline referrals declined and student engagement increased over the course of the year.  The classroom teacher used the iPads as effective tools for natural differentiation, and I observed students growing increasingly more comfortable with using technology as a tool for independent learning.  

This year we are going to be expanding our iPad deployment by adding a cart of iPads to the new 5th grade, allowing 35 students to share 18 iPads.  Though it will differ from last year's deployment because this year's budget is a little tighter, but my principal and I thought it was important to continue our efforts to develop the technology skills of our students and teachers.

In preparing for this deployment, I conducted some research to help make things run as smoothly as possible and to gather the necessary data so that this program can be expanded again next year.  One valuable resource that I found came from the blog Hooked on Innovation.  The author has experience in iPad deployment and offered valuable suggestions to help make it successful.

One critical idea that he discussed in his Top Ten Things Not to do in a iPad Initiative post was that you shouldn't evaluate the success of iPad usage with test scores alone.  My principal and I need to remember this when reporting to the school board.  The board wanted to know how we had evaluated the program during the 2012-13 school year, hoping to see a surge in test scores.  Though my principal whole-heartedly supports the use of iPads in our school, he didn't quite know how to respond.  He hadn't analyzed test scores, especially since the state tests that would show the most growth won't be conducted until October.  He also didn't want to point to the improved student behavior and engagement because he felt that it would undervalue the efforts of the classroom teacher.  In short, he knew that the iPads had made a positive difference in the learning of that group of students, but he couldn't say that it made THE difference.

As I prepare to put more devices into the hands of more students and faculty, I am also reminded of the importance of communicating expectations for the use of the iPads by everyone involved.  According to Hookertech's K-12 iPad Deployment Checklist, "There will need to be clear expectations for teachers and students in terms of use and what happens if that is violated."  Not only do I need to think about the violation of an AUP, but my principal and I also need to clearly spell out what we are hoping to achieve by investing in these iPads.  As we start a year focused on project-based learning, classroom teachers need to be using the devices as instructional AND creative tools.

1 comment:

  1. Both the resources you linked to as well as your thoughtful reflection on your iPad initiative will be a great resource to others. I will certainly add it to my resource collection. I am wondering if you would be willing to be part of a Google Hangout on Air focused on mobile learning. You have a lot to offer. I totally agree with not using Test Score as the prime measure of success. I look forward to your continued sharing as you focus on project based learning. I saw a great video on Project Based learning where the students were using iPads throughout the video, but yet no mention was made of the iPads in the video. What a great example of technology becoming ubiquitous in the learning environment. Nobody mentions notebooks, chalk, markers when they are doing a presentation on learning environments; when will technology become background noise?

    ReplyDelete